The Pilates Reformer is a versatile piece of equipment that offers resistance training coupled with a full range of motion. For those keen on shedding weight, the Reformer provides a combination of strength training and calorie burn. Below are 15 top exercises on the Pilates Reformer that can kickstart your journey to a slimmer, more toned physique.
1. Footwork Series
Begin with the basics, warming up the entire body.
- Start in a supine position.
- Push through the balls of your feet to extend and retract the carriage.
2. The Hundred
An iconic Pilates exercise, perfect for abdominal engagement.
- Lie down with arms straight by your side.
- Lift your legs and pump your arms vigorously as you breathe.
3. Frog and Leg Circles
Ideal for toning thighs and improving hip flexibility.
- Lie down with heels together and toes turned out.
- Push the carriage out and draw circles with your legs.
4. Reformer Rowing
Targets the arms, shoulders, and upper back.
- Sit upright, facing the footbar.
- Hold the straps and mimic a rowing motion.
5. Stomach Massage Series
Engage the core while also working the quads and glutes.
- Sit close to the footbar with knees bent.
- Push out, extending the legs, and return.
6. Short Spine Massage
Focuses on spinal flexibility and hamstring lengthening.
- Start with legs extended upwards.
- Roll your spine off the carriage and then roll down.
7. Long Stretch Series
Strengthens the shoulders, arms, and core.
- Begin in a plank position on the Reformer.
- Push the carriage back and forth maintaining the plank.
A classic exercise targeting the core, glutes, and hamstrings.
- Stand on the Reformer with hands on the footbar.
- Keep legs straight and push the carriage using your core.
9. Knee Stretches
Great for the quads, glutes, and abdominal muscles.
- Kneel on the Reformer, hands on the footbar.
- Push the carriage back and forth using your legs.
Boosts cardiovascular endurance and tones calves.
- Lie down and push the carriage out.
- Alternate bending your knees in a running motion.
11. Pelvic Lift
Targets the glutes, hamstrings, and lower back.
- Lie down with feet hip-distance apart.
- Lift the pelvis while pushing the carriage.
12. Chest Expansion
Enhances upper body strength and lung capacity.
- Kneel facing the shoulder rests, holding the straps.
- Pull the straps by your side, opening the chest.
Stretches the obliques and increases side flexibility.
- Sit sideways, one foot against the shoulder rest.
- Hold the other strap and stretch towards it.
14. Tendon Stretch
Strengthens the calves and increases ankle mobility.
- Sit with feet on the footbar, holding the shoulder rests.
- Push out and flex and point your feet.
15. Twist and Reach
Rotational exercise that works obliques and shoulders.
- Sit sideways, holding one strap.
- Rotate the torso, reaching the other arm overhead.
Reaping the Benefits for Weight Loss
Regular sessions incorporating these exercises can result in a considerable calorie burn, muscle toning, and an enhanced metabolic rate. To optimize weight loss, ensure a balanced diet and maintain consistency in your Pilates Reformer routines.
The Pilates Reformer offers a dynamic platform for weight loss, combining the benefits of resistance training and full-body workouts. With these 15 exercises, you're equipped to embark on a transformative journey towards a leaner, stronger version of yourself. Remember, weight loss is as much about dedication and consistency as it is about the right exercises.
« Back to Pilates Blog